Monday, November 17, 2008

This is very important news -- also it's cold and snowing, so drink this beer


IMPORTANT NEWS FLASH!!  So, I did a little Christmas shopping and then had some time to kill, so I went for a little wander around Borders books and music.  There's this book that has been featured on Oprah and Ellen and all those shows called "Don't Eat That, Eat This" or "Don't eat this, eat that" or something.  What it basically is saying is, here's two nutritionally empty junk foods, both these foods are bad for you, one of them is less bad for you, so eat that.  So -- come to find out, THE ARBY'S BEEF AND CHEDDAR SANDWICH IS BETTER FOR YOU THAN THE ARBY'S TURKEY SANDWICH!!!  The Arby's Beef and Cheddar has only about 360 calories!!  Can you believe it?  I had to walk away from the book, I got a little obsessed with it and almost purchased copies for all my friends and family and started planning my next month of fast food meals based on the recommendations.  There is also a home edition (Spaghetti-O's are better for you than Kraft Macaroni and Cheese!).  I also learned at Borders that pretty much everybody has their own magazine nowadays.  Ty Pennington has a magazine, Rachael Ray has a couple of magazines, Paula Deen has one . . . there is even a Hooters magazine, not sure what the content of that would be -- barbecued shrimp recipes, maybe?  I bet I could have a magazine before too long if I play my cards right.  
So ANYWAY -- I should start doing a "don't drink that, drink this" thing.  Maybe next time . . .  For now, let's talk about ANCHOR BREWING-OUR SPECIAL ALE -- more commonly known as Anchor Christmas Beer.  Where to begin with this one  -- This beer grew out of what is now Anchor Liberty in the mid-1970's -- in fact, this 2008 version is the thirty-fourth special ale.  The nose is full of Christmas spices -- when you first open a cold one, it smells just like walking into a Christmas store.  And everyone who tastes it seems to detect different spices.  I can taste cloves and allspice, some can taste cinnamon, nutmeg, and cardamom in the brew.  The brewers aren't saying what's in it, but this year, like every year, the beer is offered to celebrate rebirth, renewal and the newness of life.  In this spirit, the label depicts a different sort of tree every year.  The evergreen tree was a symbol of rebirth in Medieval Europe due to its survival and continued growth throughout the cold winter months.  For me, ever since I discovered holiday beers in 1988, one of the first traditions of my holiday season every year has been to bring home Anchor Christmas.  Next week is Thanksgiving.  Go to the store, buy some Anchor Christmas and let's get this holiday started!  

No comments: