Wednesday, November 19, 2008

22 ounces of deliciousness is just enough for a Wednesday -- so drink this beer!


Yeah, when you only want one beer, I believe a bomber -- a 22 or 25 ouncer -- is just the right amount.  It's not too much, and yet you aren't left wanting just a little more . . . Tonight I enjoyed BROO DOO, the Harvest Ale from one of my all-time favorite breweries, Three Floyds.  I mentioned this beer when I talked about the Founder's Harvest Ale.  These beers are created using wet hops - fresh hops right off the vine, not dried or pellets.  In fact, Broo Doo's hops go from fresh on the vine to the brew kettle in just one day!  The nose is classic Three Floyds - citrusy, grapefruity, maybe a little astringent in a good way.  Broo Doo has a fuller body and mouthfeel than some of the Floyds' beers -- almost bready.  The surprise comes at the finish -- the wet hopping seems to result in a softer aftertaste than, say, an IPA.  
Also -- must mention how visually stunning this beer is!  It is so pretty, I had to photograph it with my phone from a variety of angles.  Wish you could see the pour -- the crimson amber beer cascading up into golden-white foam -- just gorgeous.  
BROO DOO boasts one of the coolest labels I have seen from a brewery known for their cool labels.  It features a classic "troll" with hops for hair, backed up by a Barbie Princess-looking character and a unicorn.  The entire label evokes an eleven-year-old girl's bedroom on 'shrooms.  Much props goes out to Randy Mosher for this label design.  I gotta e-mail him!  I told him back in May that I was going to start a blog or a web site or something . . . He is a true beer celebrity, and rightfully so; an amazing fine artist and author of a number of beer classics as well.  
We'll talk about more big bottles this winter.  I can't wait for the first big snowfall -- I will have a big bottle of something, my chair, and maybe some trashy reality fare on Bravo . . .   

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey! I recognize those chairs in the background. I think what you need is a light tent like this one. that's what I use for my pics. That might help you show the colors of the beers.