Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Founder's Harvest Ale

Today's beer is Founder's Harvest Ale from Founder's Brewing in Grand Rapids, Michigan.  I always thought Grand Rapids was sort of Bible-belty, but those guys know their beer . . . well,  there is a theory that Jesus changed the water into beer, not wine, because the word in the bible translates as "fermented beverage" . . . but that's another story for another day.  Here in Chicago, we got about 200 cases of Founder's Harvest to sell, for the entire city and surrounding area.  Needless to say, we sold it quickly.  The Founder's stuff is always eagerly anticipated.  I poured this beer into my favorite glass and was knocked out by the beauty and full body of the head!  A glowing cascade of bright shining white bubbles which lingered on the glass, forming a lovely lace.  Just the pour was exciting!  The nose was nail-polish-remover hoppy.  Harvest Ales are traditionally made from "wet" hops, meaning freshly harvested, not dried, hops, which is supposed to impart a fresh, bright hoppy flavor to the beer.  I was surprised at how understated the hops were to the taste.  While the malt flavors were very subtle and the hop presence was there throughout, it finished very softly, like hoppy rose petals.  Not at all the astringent bite I was hoping for.  So . . . as Randy Jackson will be saying from his American Idol judging seat in about two months . . . it was just okay for me, dawg.  I love the Founder's dry-hopped pale ale, much more traditionally hoppy than this.  But this is coming from a girl who lists Three Floyds Dreadnaught in her top five favorite beers.  If anybody reads this, can you tell me if Harvest Ales are traditionally not aggressively hoppy?  I did notice Three Floyds BrooDoo -- their Harvest Ale -- was not crazy hoppy either.  Stop saying "hoppy", Salls.  
Watch this spot tomorrow.  I will drink another beer and tell you about it.  

No comments: