Saturday, November 22, 2008

If you are in Chicago -- Check out THIS MUCH IS TRUE and Drink this beer!





Tonight, we went to see my friend Nadine and her group, THIS MUCH IS TRUE.  They do autobiographical monologues that they have written about situations that have actually happened in their lives.  It is so awesome, touching and beautiful.  
While we were there, I had an experience that really brought home why I love beer so much.  We bought a bottle of ALPHA KLAUS, the Christmas Porter from Three Floyds brewing in Munster, Indiana.  If you are reading this, you know I love this brewery.  ALPHA KLAUS is a roasty American version of a classic London ale.  Porters were originally a working-class man's beer, named for the porters of London's railway.  A strong chocolate nose is complemented by a sweet maltiness, courtesy of English malts and Mexican sugars.  American hops provide a nice, balanced finish.  
More important than the components of the beer to me, though, are how a beer can bring people together.  I bought this 22 ouncer to share with a friend who enjoys Three Floyds beers, but had not tasted a Porter before.  He loved it, had not tasted a beer like this before, had no idea that beer could have roasty chocolate flavors and a smooth finish.  Before long, I was explaining the difference between porters and stouts, where porters come from, and what makes a porter different from lighter, crisper beers.  We let our friends taste the Alpha Klaus and they wanted a bottle too.  Then we bought another bottle.  There we all were, drinking beer and sharing stories.  It really was a lovely evening.  
Now we are eating pizza and chicken fingers and watching Akeelah and the Bee.  Thanks, Three Floyds.  Gotta go to sleep soon.  

1 comment:

Keenable said...

I believe I recognize Peter Robel in one of your pix, a working Chicago actor I've had the pleasure of sharing the stage with on more than one occasion. This Much is True sounds intriguing. I read a science article yesterday which quoted Howard Eichenbaum, a neuroscientist at Boston University: "We should never think of memories as being fixed. They are constantly being renovated and restructured." I wonder what the responses from any persons making appearances in the monologues would be. I appreciate the regularity of your entertaining and at times thought-provoking posts.