Sunday, January 18, 2009

Krampus = Reward


Yesterday, I cleaned and took Christmas decorations down pretty much all day. Yes, I am feeling a bit healthier. I still feel like an undertaker, because I keep a'coughin' (HA HA HAAAAA!!!) but I am feeling better. So I decided to reward myself and break out one of the beers I have been saving for when I could actually taste them.
Southern Tier Krampus is an Imperial Helles Lager, which means it's bottom fermented with Lager yeast, in the Helles style (which is a traditional German beer style) but the Imperial means it's high in alcohol. 9% ABV. It's darker than your typical lager, also, because they use some debittered black malt. It is pretty darn good! Despite being dry-hopped with Willamette hops, it is quite a malty brew. Besides the black malt, they also use 2-row pale, caramel and munich malts. Very well balanced, malty and hoppy both, and a lovely capper to the evening.
I actually had never heard of the legend of Krampus, who is a little goat horned creature with fangs. He is supposedly Santa Claus' evil sidekick who beats naughty children with sticks. Now, I consider myself pretty much a Christmas trivia geek and I have never heard this story. I have heard of Befana, who is an Italian witch who brings presents, and Black Peter, who is kind of like Krampus but is not a monster . . . Hmmmmm. Must do more research before next year. By the Bye, this beer sold out in like three days. No fooling.
I'm treating myself in just a few minutes to a Shmaltz Brewing Sword Swallower. I blogged about that beer already, but I LOVE IT. And I am starting my vacation. So next time you hear from me -- I WILL HAVE BEEN TO RAGLAN ROAD!!!! And I deserve it.

No comments: