Friday, January 2, 2009

HAPPY NEW BEER, FRIENDS!

Wahoo!  It's 2009!  I didn't throw back many beers on NYE.  I've been a little under the weather, and for some reason, beer doesn't go well with a sore throat.  But, last week I went with my family to Goose Island Brew Pub on North Clybourn Street.  For much of this year, the word on the street was that the Pub would be closing at the end of 2008.  Apparently, the landlords on the property were trying to jack up the rent something like 200%.  Happily, at the eleventh hour, the landlords called John Hall, founder of Goose Island, and offered a deal.  So now, not closing!!  I was very happy to hear the news, because I worked at this pub for a while.  I had the opportunity to work with Wil Turner, the brewer.  I was in charge of taking the inventory of the beer brewed at the Pub, changing the medallions on the tap handles and re-doing the blackboards (seriously) and I waited tables.  You know, it is a Chicago classic and I just would have missed the place, even though I don't go there often enough anymore.  This beer was actually intended to be the last beer brewed at North Clybourn.  It is called DEMOLITION 1800.  It is brewed with pale malt and hopped with Saaz and Styrian Golding.  Cloudy, hoppy, very nice!  I think I will add to my many resolutions to GO TO THE GOOSE ISLAND BREW PUB once every couple of weeks, say hi to Wil, and taste what's new.  Remember, you never know when something or someone you love might be gone forever.  All the best to anyone who is reading this for the New Year.  I am excited, fired up, and ready for it.  Look what President-elect Obama was able to do last year.  I wonder what I can do.

1 comment:

Keenable said...

Yes, we eventually vanish. I wish you good beer... and good conversations. You go, girl. Happy New Year!